Pages

Thursday 12 July 2012

Work in Progress: WFTD

So I’m half way through Part 3. It took a little longer than I expected to reach this point. I had a lot of unforeseen delays crop up which has put me behind schedule. I’m now planning to have the first draft completed by the 29th at the latest.

But at least Part 3 has developed better than I thought it would. I’ve got a few concerns about a couple of dialogue heavy scenes, but those will be edited down later. Better they’re on the page than just in my head though. At least I’ve got something to work with now.

I also keep wondering if the book as it is will be too short. It feels short, although I’m aiming for something like 70k words. I think it’s because the story is so fast paced. On the one hand, I like that and I hope it’s as gripping as I intended. On the other hand though, I hope it’s not so fast that people don’t get a good feel for the characters. Because if people don’t connect with the characters, they won’t care what happens next anyway.

Even once the first draft is complete there will still be a ton of work to do on it before I let anyone near it. Because it’s so different in style and tone to my previous stuff it’s hard to gauge how it will be received. I think if I’ve pulled it off right it should be pretty damn cool. If not…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.