Pages

Sunday 29 July 2012

Work in Progress: WFTD

Huzzah! I actually finished the first draft! It’s pretty rough and shoddy in places, but it’s done. It clocks in at around 70k words or so. I’m aiming for 75k to 80k once I go through it and flesh things out a little more. Then, once I’m happy with it, I’ll see about getting a little feedback from people.

My original plan for Part 3 didn’t really work out the way I hoped. Well, it was okay, but it just didn’t feel natural in terms of certain choices for one of the main characters. As a result, I went back and rewrote a couple of chapters, which held me up a little and I thought I might miss my self imposed deadline. But, remarkably, I somehow pulled it together, knocking out about 14 pages in one afternoon to get back on track.

Things are a lot better now. Well, I hope they are. I’ve not read through the last 3 or 4 chapters since I finished. I’ve been taking a little break from the novel for a few days, just trying to knock a few more games off my backlog before diving straight into the edits. Overall, I’m fairly pleased how quickly I got the first draft done. I would’ve liked to have arrived here a lot sooner, but a number of delays, some expected, some not, held me up quite a few times. Still, it’s not too bad, I guess.

Well, I guess all I can do now is start working on a few edit notes. I’ve already got a list of things I need to tweak, fix, rewrite or cut. I’m looking forward to having a polished draft ready to read soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.