Pages

Sunday 14 September 2014

Wizard of Wor

I’m not sure if Wizard of Wor was my first videogame, but it’s certainly the first I remember getting hooked on. I think the primary reason was that it was one of only two cartridge based games I had for my C64. There was no arduous 20 minute tape deck loading (usually resulting in a crash, followed by another 20 minute load). It was plug and play, no fuss. It was also bloody addictive.

It was originally released as an arcade game in 1981 before being ported to various home systems. You play as a blue or yellow ‘worrior’ trapped in a dungeon maze with various nasty creatures which want to eat you. Fortunately, you’re armed with a laser gun which makes a very satisfying POWPOW! sound when fired.

As you progress through each maze, you’ll be confronted by different enemy types, including some which can become invisible or teleport. Each stage ends with the chance to take down a ‘Worluk’ or the Wizard himself and double your score on the next level. It’s simple, but effective, with some cool sound effects and music.


But the best thing about the game is that it can (and really should) be played in co-op with another person. And as the dungeons get harder, the monsters faster and more deadly, you’ll need someone with you if you want to survive. The interesting thing about the co-op aspect though, is that friendly fire is possible, so a misplaced shot will result in the loss of a precious life. In fact, killing the other player can boost your own score.

This can result in a lot of petty retaliation as you shoot your team mate in the back ‘by accident’, resulting in the game becoming a death match as you try to kill each other whilst avoiding the monsters. I remember many games which began as an attempt to progress by working together, only to devolve into a vicious battle to the death.

I still have my C64 safely boxed away along with my copy of Wizard of Wor. Of all the games I played on that system, it’s the one I remember the most. Simple, effective and addictive fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.