Pages

Monday 19 March 2018

Now Watching: It Comes at Night

I’d seen both very positive and very negative reviews of It Comes at Night, so when I finally sat down to watch it, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. But from the moment it began, the film held my attention, squeezing it with a vice-like grip. It’s rare that I’m so thoroughly absorbed by a film that I can’t look away from the screen.

To say that I found watching It Comes at Night a tense experience would be an understatement. I had a mild headache at the end of it – I’d been sitting so rigidly, my eyes focused on the screen.


It Comes at Night is a horror/psychological thriller set following the outbreak of a mysterious virus. Paul (Joel Edgerton), his wife Sarah and son Travis live a cautious but safe existence in an isolated house – until a stranger arrives at their door. I won’t say more on the story, because this isn’t a film I want to spoil, but I do want to touch upon why I think it’s so good.

I’ve seen people say the title is misleading, but I disagree – I think it’s wholly appropriate. Because at its core, It Comes at Night is a film about paranoia. It’s about the fear of what we don’t know or understand – and how we react. The title is perfect in that regard, as it immediately puts the viewer on edge – just like Paul.

And what’s more, the film brilliantly restricts the viewer to the same level of information as the characters. We know as much as they do. There’s no disconnect from their experience – we’re right alongside them, every step of the way.

The film is wonderfully shot, with an appropriately unsettling score. It feels claustrophobic to watch, an effect that grows ever more uncomfortable as the film progresses. As far as any criticisms go, I’d say the ending does get a tad muddled as it tries a little too hard to be ambiguous. But overall, I thought It Comes at Night was excellent, and easily one of the best horror films of recent years. Recommended.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.